In my last post, I explained some of the ways that Ciudad Nueva is involved in the broader Christian community development movement through the Christian Community Development Association (CCDA) and through Micah Global.
This investment in regional, national, and global movements that we wholeheartedly believe in is beneficial to our organization in many tangible ways. Many of our programs have been modeled after excellent examples demonstrated elsewhere. The sharing of information through various conferences is invaluable to solving challenges and keeping us aware of changes and innovation in the world of community development.
Here are just a few examples of how these relationships benefit the work we are doing here in El Paso:
- Inspiration, training, and relationships with others doing this work – Meeting with others in the community development field gets us excited about possibilities, helps us with practical steps, builds on our relationships, and helps cast a vision for what Ciudad Nueva could look like as we grow.
- Development of best practices and gleaning from the wisdom of others – Much of what we implement in our programs we have taken from elsewhere, from the curriculum and model we started at Launch Pad thirteen years ago to the latest food co-op model that we just implemented.
- Dissemination of best practices in our field – We also contribute to publications, lead workshops, host groups, and speak at many events. This is important for the growth and professional development of our staff as well.
- Partnership opportunities – We partner on many initiatives and advocacy in many areas. Through these organizations, we can connect with like-minded individuals or groups to help us in these efforts.
- Detailed information on issues pertinent to our community – We have access to many avenues of communication that guide our efforts. For example, we receive daily updates from national experts on executive orders about immigration and how those may affect members of our community.
- Funding opportunities – Staying visible in the community development world allows us opportunities to share what we are doing with funders who may be interested in supporting what we are working on.
In addition to all of these benefits, invaluable relationships are built through our involvement in national and worldwide organizations. Many of our key staff have come to Ciudad Nueva as a result of our involvement with the CCDA. The connections we have through the CCDA and Micah Global build legitimacy and trust, allowing us to find common ground with other partners who can help us work for the good of our community.
This kind of involvement is a central aspect to our mission, not simply an added side benefit. This fulfills our goals to raise awareness of and advocate for the needs of our community, and to support other Christian ministries and works by partnering with organizations and churches that share or complement the purposes of this organization.