We have often been asked over the last 10 years about what motivates our community development work in our beloved Rio Grande District. What motivates our work is that we are called to love our neighbors, especially when the need is great.
- Education: 46% of adults have not completed high school, 77% of children are considered to be at-risk of not completing high school
- Income: The median household income is $16,630/year, 24% of households earn under $10,000/year
- Housing: 78% of residents are renters, 58% live in rental units with only one bedroom or no bedroom
- Transportation: 35% have no access to a vehicle, there is no major grocery store within walking distance
- Family: 82% of children are born to unmarried women, births to teenage moms is more than double the national average, 67% of young children live below poverty.
At Ciudad Nueva we envision an alternate future than what the statistics depict. We want to interrupt cycles that ensnare in poverty and despair. We aspire to cultivate hope and an environment where kids, families and the community are empowered to move toward a successful future where these statistics are no longer a reality. In the beginning we started walking alongside just 10 third graders. Ten years later we are working with hundreds of neighbors as we empower youth, support families, strengthen community and equip leaders.